Auto Burglary Prevention Tips
• Remove visible items from your vehicle - If you leave items visible in your car, you are a target.
** Be aware that someone may be watching as you put a wallet, purse, or cell phone under your seat, especially at a gym. Take these with you or secure them in your trunk.
** NEVER leave a gun unsecured in your car. If you must enter into a business that prohibits Licensed to Carry (LTC) you can secure your weapon in a small metal lock box attached to a cable that secures around your seat frame. NEVER leave a gun in a vehicle overnight.
• Lock Up!
** Lock your vehicle and take your keys, even for quick errands.
** Lock the trunk, hatchback or tailgate to block access into the vehicle.
** Close all windows, including vent or wing windows and sunroofs.
• Vehicle alarms - Buy an alarm and use it! Many people believe that alarms no longer make a difference; however, they do remain an effective deterrent to a burglar. Remember criminals are looking for the easy target.
• Do not attach personal information to your keys - If your keys are stolen, having your personal information or vehicle license number attached only compounds the problem. A criminal now may have access to your home, automobile or office.
• Mail - Do not leave outgoing or incoming mail in your car, especially where visible. This has your name and address on it.
• Garage Door Opener - Avoid leaving this in your car if possible.
• Avoid announcing your vacation on social media. It is easier than you think to look up your address.
• Park Safely!
** At home, park in your garage if you have one. Lock your car and all garage doors.
** Park in a well-lit area.
** Check to see that your vehicle is visible from pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
• Record serial numbers
** Record the serial numbers and other pertinent information such as make a model for your electronic devices (GPS, laptops, tablets) and cell phones. o Familiarize yourself with the features of your devices, some have the ability to be
tracked if stolen. Knowing how to activate this service quickly can greatly help law enforcement recover your property and arrest those responsible.
Remember, only you can prevent auto burglaries by removing your valuables from your vehicleand locking them in a safe place. Help us to protect your property. #OneCountyOneCommunity
2/5/2018 12:07 PM
Crystal Holmes, PIO