Jefferson County Seal
7933 Viterbo Road Ste 4
Beaumont, TX 77705


Environmental Control

Office Hours
Monday - Friday

Director: Ronda Conlin

Phone 409-719-5910
Fax 409-729-3118

Development Permits
Food Permits
Septic Permits
Environmental Complaints

Development Permit Application

Development Permits

Jefferson County requires that a development permit be issued for any building constructed or moved onto a property or for any improvement over fifty percent of the value of the building. Permits can be obtained by filling out the Development permit application located at the top of the page. Once submitted they are generally issued in 2-3 business days. Permits are active for one year from their purchase date.

If your property does not yet have an address; you can obtain an address by calling Regional Planning at 409-724-1911.

HB 2833 passed by the 81st Texas Legislature allows counties to require building code standards, inspections, and notices for certain residential construction begun after September 1, 2009 in the unincorporated portions of the county by enacting Subchapter F, Chapter 233, Texas Local Government Code.

HB2833 Fact Sheet

Any building with living quarters is required by HB2833 to have three inspections, these are:

  1. The foundation stage, before placement of concrete
  2. The framing and mechanical system stage, before covering with drywall or other interior wall covering.
  3. Completion of construction of the residence.

These inspections must be completed by one of the following:

    • a licensed engineer;
    • a registered architect;
    • a professional inspector licensed by the Texas Real Estate Commission;
    • a plumbing inspector employed by a municipality and licensed by the Texas State Board of Plumbing Examiners;
    • a building inspector employed by a political subdivision;
    • or an individual certified as a residential combination inspector by the International Code Council.

Once a permit application is submitted we will determine what flood zone your building is in; this will determine how high you will need to build. If you are in an A zone you will also be required to provide Environmental Control with a finished Elevation Certificate.

Once the permit has been issued you can get temporary power. You will need to provide your Entergy account number and name of the person/business on the account in order for us to release power. After all required paperwork has been turned in you are eligible to get permanent power, again we will need your Entergy account number and name of the person/business on the account.

You can contact Entergy at 1-800-368-3749 or 1-800-ENTERGY.

Environmental Control Home